Governance in Financial Management in the Public Sector
Recent public sector reforms are remarkably based on the promotion of accountable management. Therefore, to achieve effective accountability
within financial management in the public sector, clear rules and principles of governance must be employed. Corporate governance in
MDAs requires that effective and appropriate measures are established to ensure statutory accountability and accountability for public resources.
Governance will support the need for efficient use of public funds, reduction of budgetary deficits, increase in performance and management
of risks. The purpose of this programme is to show how corporate governance can be applied in the public sector financial management.
Accountants, auditors, budget officers, finance officers and any other staff from the MDAS entrusted with the duties of managing public resources.
At the end of the programme, participants will be able to:
- Appreciate the elements, structures and systems of public sector governance;
- Competently develop and manage governance reform programs and activities;
- Apply principles of governance in public sector financial management;
- Identify and mitigate against risks related to financial disbursement;
- Appreciate the importance of compliance to governance and