Environmental Impact Assessment of Projects
To ensure sustainable project development, it is crucial to assess and address the potential environmental and social impacts of new investment and rehabilitation projects. Environmental and Social Impact Assessment (ESIA) serves as an essential process for identifying both positive and negative effects on the environment and society.
ESIA enables project planners and decision makers to gain a comprehensive understanding of proposed actions’ environmental effects, facilitating the avoidance or minimization of adverse impacts. By considering the economic, social, and environmental aspects, ESIA empowers participants to make informed decisions and implement effective mitigation measures.
This programme equips participants with the necessary expertise to conduct thorough environmental and social impact assessments, identify
risks and opportunities, and develop appropriate mitigation strategies. By integrating sustainability principles into project design and management, participants contribute to responsible decision-making and sustainable project outcomes
Officials involved in planning, designing and managing new projects including rehabilitation and redesigning existing projects and have
to provide oversight or carry out environmental and social impact assessments from Central and Local Government institutions. Decision
makers who appraise, review, and finance proposed new projects from private sector companies and NGOs are also eligible to attend.
At the end of the Programme, participants will be able to:
- Examine the legal, policy and administrative framework for EIA/ESIA;
- Develop the procedures and terms of reference (TOR) for carrying out; environmental and social impact assessments (EIA/ESIA);
- Examine and practice using different screening criteria to projects in order to identify projects to undergo full EIA/ESIA;
- Conduct scoping studies to identify potential environmental concerns in projects;
- Predict and analyze potential impacts of proposed projects;
- Examine techniques for public involvement in environmental and social impact assessments;
- Write and appraise EIA/ESIA reports;
- Develop and implement an environmental management plan (EMP) complete with a mitigation and monitoring plan.