Energy Technology System Assessment programme
The main objective of this course was to strengthen the capabilities within African countries for effective energy technology assessment.
Specifically, the course was aimed at helping participants to be able to do the following:
- Identify decentralised options for energy supply (renewable energy, fossil fuels, electricity);
- Evaluate the potentials and constraints of various energy technologies (technically, economically, socially, and environmentally);
- Specify the infrastructural and institutional requirements for successful operation of different energy technologies;
- Prepare a set of criteria for evaluation of technical options;
- Make a preliminary selection of suitable energy technology equipment;
- Develop a strategy for acquisition of energy technology equipment.
The course is designed for staff involved in the formulation and organization of rural energy planning and management. It is not intended for people with a detailed technical knowledge of energy conversion technologies. The course is particularly appropriate for:
- Planners, engineers, project managers, finance officers and accountants in energy Ministries and Departments, Rural Energy & Rural Electrification Agencies and power utility companies, Rural Development NGOs, Agriculture, Irrigation, Water, small and medium industries
- Entrepreneurs and consultants in energy technologies business.
Participants will be able to conduct a systematic renewable energy resource assessments and renewable energy technology assessment and be able to match technology to available energy resources. Hence participants will be able to select and design optimized, appropriate and cost-effective energy systems for particular areas.
US$ 2,200 to cover tuition and training materials only.