Development of Indicators for Effective Governance
Public sector institutions, as well as private businesses and non-governmental organizations, are often judged on the basis of their performance on key areas of performance. These may include effectiveness, efficiency, equity, corruption and rule of law, among many others. It is critical, therefore, to develop appropriate indicators in all these areas of performance. The workshop will review some of the performance measurement practices of international organizations and governments. Good performance measurement constitutes oversight on government activities, and ensures its accountability to the public; thus, ensuring good governance.
Senior public service staff in all government ministries, and other public departments and agencies.
At the end of the performance, participants will be able to:
- Describe key elements of good governance;
- Apply the principles, processes and techniques of measuring performance;
- Develop measurable indicators of governance at both the local government and central government levels;
- Test relevance and applicability of existing governance indicators in monitoring;
- Design additional, more customized, governance indicators.