Climate Change Financing
More than ever before, the world is experiencing a veracious climate change. The climate change has adversely affected global economy and ultimately the societies. Governments are reacting to the climate change by directing a big portion of the public finance to mitigation measures. This strategy appears inadequate for a number of reasons. Firstly, it is reactionary and in many cases coming too late; Secondly, public finance is inadequate given the magnitude of the resulting climate related adversity; Thirdly, there appear to be poor condition among the many actors.
The public sector needs to realize that Climate changes have radically changed the financial and project management arena. Indeed, the focus for both is shifting toward adaptation to climate change and mitigations of climate change risks. Well-coordinated public sector finance has a major
role to play. Hence climate change financing. Governments and other stakeholders should put emphasis on climate change financing, focusing
on adaptation and mitigation. Be it as it may be, the design and formulation of the climate change finance and the related financing instruments, comes with related financial and fiscal risks.
- Officials from Ministries of Finance and Departments such as Budget,Debt, etc.
- Officials from Legislative Assemblies;
- Officials from Environmental Ministries and Regulators;
- Officials from Public Sectors affected by Climate change, e.g. Agriculture, Water, Energy, Infrastructure, Health, etc.
- Officials from the Banking Industry interested in climate finance;
- Officials from Donor Agencies interested in financing climate change mitigation and adaptation programs.
At the end of the course, participants will be able to:
- Appreciate climate change, architecture and climate related risks
- Learn how to transform and create a climate change conscious organization
- Appreciate the effect of climate change on financing
- Learn about opportunities and barriers of climate change financing
- Learn how to design projects for adaptation and mitigation of climate change
- Appreciate climate change financing options and emerging financial instruments
- Assess the suitability of the climate change related financial instruments
- Monitor and evaluate the results of the climate change financing instruments
- Learn how to manage the fiscal risks