Country-specific development trends have demonstrated that the pace of development within the country is hastened when there is strong local level leadership and governance. Such leadership and governance needs to be responsive; support initiatives aimed at strengthening institutions and provide a platform to stimulate growth. The transition process of ‘’Managing from the Centre’’ to ‘’Leading from the Periphery’’ as the governments embrace a more inclusive development approach is an urgent need. Growing significance of local as well as count governments and increased appetite to deliver development results, unlock potential for local economic development, spur growth, contribute to medium and long term competitiveness are aspects that will be discussed during the course. Participants will gain a thorough understanding of the systematic change required in the attitudes, beliefs, and values of the employees working in local government institutions through creation, reinforcement and application of modern management and leadership principles in order to enhance performance.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
The course is designed for men and women at strategic levels of policy making and decision making such as permanent secretaries and deputy permanent secretaries, directors and commissioners in the public sectors as well as board members of public and private corporations as well as chief executive officers.
HOW PARTICIPANTS WILL BENEFIT
At the end of the course, participants will be able to: -
• Provide strategic leadership at organisational level
• Acquire skills to proactively engage to influence policy;
• Analyse economic, social and technological trends and assess how these will affect institutions;
• Apply techniques to lead change initiatives successfully;
• Apply knowledge on how to position organisations to be more competitive;
• Apply good governance principles within the organisation
• Gender responsive leadership;
• Leadership and management skills
• Leading and managing for results
• Managing diversity;
• Blue ocean leadership;
• Financial management
• strategic Thinking
• Decision making skills/leaders as decision architects
• strategic planning basics
• 360 degrees leadership and leading change
• Policy development and analysis;
• Policy implementation