This programme is designed to improve development of records management policy in the organizations and government bodies enabling setting out a framework within which records and archives of the organization can be managed in accordance with statutory requirements and international standards to ensure reliability, authenticity, integrity and usability. Participants in this course will be trained in the necessary theoretical knowledge as well as procedural and strategic skills to develop, write and implement an effective records management policy within their organization/ government body. They will examine the methodological steps involved in policy development and implementation including planning and establishing the needs; conducting contextual analysis; review current practices; examine relevant standards and best practices; conduct gap analysis and establish the required key elements that the policy will be required to cover. They will further their knowledge of drafting and implementing it.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
Records managers, information services managers, registry supervisors, archive staff and librarians.
HOW PARTICIPANTS WILL BENEFIT
At the end of the course, participants will be able to:
• Examine the methodological steps in developing effective records management policy;
• Apply skills of stating the goals and outcomes of the policy;
• Analyze the information that will influence the policy to be developed;
• Establish required elements that the policy must cover to enable creation, maintenance, disposal and preservation of authentic, reliable, accurate and usable records;
• Conducting contextual analysis, review current practices, examine relevant standards and best practices; conduct gap analysis and establish the required key elements that the policy will be required to cover. The will further knowledge of drafting and implementing it.
• Distinguishing features of policies, standards and procedures;
• Steps in policy development process;
• Elements of an effective records management policy;
• Drafting a policy for implementation, monitoring, and review.