This programme will provide delegates a full and comprehensive understanding of environmental management practices related to mining life cycle activities.
Environmental management of mining projects and operations involves all aspects of the activities from grass root and advanced exploration, feasibility study, development, exploitation to their closure and decommissioning phases.
A project or an operation that does not have sound environmental management systems, will like run into major problems that usually include financial losses for the owners and other stakeholders, legal challenges, negative social and environmental impacts.
The programme will address all phases of the mining life cycle from exploration and feasibility studies through planning and construction, operation, and closure and will cover a broad spectrum of environmental aspects ranging from air, water and waste management to biodiversity conservation. Statutory obligations for companies to comply with all applicable municipal, local, provincial, regional and federal legal requirements will be examined.
The course has a strong industry focus and uses local and international case studies to illustrate management approaches.
Through the programme participants will be able to understand the prevailing global best and proven management practices that are being practiced in the mining industry.
At the end of the Programme participants will be able to:
- Identify mining life cycle activities and potential environmental concerns
- Grasp legal requirements and industry standards and best practices relevant to environmental management in the mining industry
- Understand state of the-art-tools that will help to reduce or eliminate potential negative environmental impacts
- Learn how to identify and mitigate potential environmental impacts during mining and refining processes
- Learn how to create robust environmental management plans
- Select key performance indicators, and set up monitoring with environmental and social management plans
- Learn about minimum requirements for restoration of operational sites after abandonment
The Programme will be beneficial to project and site managers, advisors, regulators, safety and environmental professionals, engineers and operations staff involved in oversight or management of environmental and social issues all along the life cycle of mining projects.