In the wake of increasing challenges and difficulties in this area of concern, especially when governments in the region are increasingly becoming aware the demand for quality regulatory services in the areas of service provisioning, this course comes in at a most appropriate time. Regulators as a result, are under unprecedented pressure, facing a range of demands, often contradictory in nature: be less intrusive – but be more effective; be kinder and gentler – but do not let the bandits get away with anything; focus your efforts but be consistent; process things quicker – and be more careful next time; deal with important issues – but do not stray outside your statutory authority; be more responsive to the regulated community – but still deliver value-for-money services. The course focuses on responsibilities execution of regulatory authorities with a "value-for-money" and cost effectiveness focus.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
Senior finance and other relevant officers of management teams of independent /autonomous authorities, who are saddled with regulatory responsibilities in such key sensitive areas like water, power and energy, pension/mutual funds institutions, transport services, to name but a few.
HOW PARTICIPANTS WILL BENEFIT
At the end of the course participating officers will be able to:
- Apply a variety of tools and methods for monitoring the performance of institutions
under their docket;
- Apply the gained knowledge in the design of performance evaluation frameworks;
- Apply principles to implement plausible/sustainable yet flexible Regulator
- Carry out their own Regulator performance evaluation;
- Implement Financial management systems consistent with key responsibilities;
- Apply financial regulatory principles to prevent undue influence from the regulated
- Discussion of Key factors/drivers for creation of a regulatory authority;
- Financial Mobilization and management
- Good Financial Governance
- Regulator Performance Target Setting and Preventing undue influences;
- Board Membership and Decision making models
- Audit & Governance of Regulatory Authorities.